- by Eli Moore Westchester and New York City Traffic
Are You at Risk of Getting a Traffic Ticket? Take This Quiz!
Updated: Apr 6, 2022
You probably haven't taken an exam in a long time but it's a good idea to periodically check your traffic law IQ so you stay out of trouble on the road. Take this quiz:
1. You can't get a ticket for cell phone use as long as you're speaking through a Bluetooth wireless connection.
True___ False _____
2. It’s perfectly okay to toot your horn if you’re trying to urge the driver in front of you to drive faster.
True____ False _____
3. You can't be penalized for exercising your right to refuse to take a breathalyzer test if you're stopped by the police for driving while intoxicated (DWI).
True ___ False ____
4. Stopping your car behind the white line at a red light isn’t important as long as you don’t go too far out on the crosswalk.
True____ False ____
5. If you delayed paying your car insurance for a few days, it’s okay to drive as long as you have since paid the insurance premium.
1. False. Even if you're speaking through a speakerphone or Bluetooth, you can get a ticket if you're holding the phone or touching the screen. If you must talk on a cell phone while driving, be sure it is attached to your dashboard or to the center console and you're not holding it in your hand.
2. False. In New York State, “a horn should not be used other than as a reasonable warning or be unnecessarily loud or harsh.” In other words, it is a subjective determination by the police officer who hears your horn tooting as to whether or not the sound is too loud or harsh. Be safe and practice patience.
3. False. Blood, breath, urine, and saliva tests can all be used to test blood alcohol levels. If stopped for suspicion of DWI, a motorist may refuse to take the breathalyzer test. However, there are many negative consequences that go along with this refusal. Most importantly, a refusal will cause you to lose your driving privileges immediately, as you will be forced to surrender your license to the police on the scene. Also, be aware that you can still be arrested for DWI without a breathalyzer test or other measure of blood alcohol level.
4. False. A crosswalk violation can be given to a driver even if there isn’t a solid line marking where the driver should stop. Be sure to stop at the line marking the crosswalk—and, even if there’s no line, leave plenty of room at the crosswalk for pedestrians.
5. False. If there has a been a lapsed time period for which you did not pay car insurance, you must surrender your license plates to the DMV and your registration will be suspended for the same number of days that you had no car liability insurance. If you fail to surrender your license plates, you can be stopped on the road at any time by police and they will physically remove your license plates. It’s best to be proactive and take care of this before the police take care of this for you.
Learn more about traffic laws and safety at www.elimooretrafficattorney.com. If you live in Westchester or New York City and have received a traffic ticket or been charged with a moving or criminal violation, please email me at EliMooreLaw@gmail.com or call (914) 523-5552.
#outofstatetraffictickets #TrafficticketsWestchester #TrafficticketsNewYorkCity #Trafficticketlawyer #trafficlaw #WhitePlainstrafficlawyer #NewRochelleTrafficLawyer #Harrisontrafficlawyer #bronxtrafficlawyer #besttrafficlawyerinWestchester #Bronxtrafficcourt #carinsurancepremiums #DMV #doIneedatrafficlawyer #Driving #Eastchestertrafficlawyer #Greenburghtrafficattorney #elimoore #elimooretrafficlawyer #licensesuspension #driverslicensesuspension #whiteplainstrafficlawyer #Westchestertrafficlawyer #Westchestertrafficattorney #trafficviolations #TrafficticketsBronx #trafficpenalties #trafficfines #trafficlawnewrochelle #TrafficAttorney #trafficattorneywestchester #SuspendedLicence #speedingticket #teendrivers