top of page
  • by Eli Moore Westchester and New York City Traffic

Moved to New York from another state? You have 30 days to apply for a New York State License.

If you have recently moved to New York from another state then you have 30 days to apply for a New York State License. However, if you have a valid license from a U.S. state, federal district, territory or Canadian province, then you can exchange it for a New York State License as long as it contains photo ID, is valid or has not expired for more than 24 months, has been issued at least 6 months before you’re going to exchange it, and has not been revoked, suspended, marked as non-renewable or non-transferable.

If your current license meets these requirements and a few others, then you can get your NYS license at the DMV if you bring your current license, a completed application for permit, driver’s license or driver ID, your social security card or proof that you’re not eligible for one, and at least 6 points of proof of identification. In addition, you must pass a vision test, surrender your out- of- state license and pay a driver’s license fee. If you are a college student in New York State then you might not be considered a resident of New York and therefore do not need to get a NYS license.

bottom of page